At Cape Canaveral Hospital, we offer the highest level of cancer care available within a compassionate, caring environment.
Linking with the UF/Shands Healthcare in Gainesville, Florida helps our patients avoid the inconvenience, expense, and time of traveling to distant cancer centers for the highest quality care. This collaboration has also increased the number and type of cancer services we're able to offer at Cape Canaveral Hospital, including:
- sharing of information regarding clinical protocols for oncology nursing, rehabilitation, pharmacy, wellness programs, as well as chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- educational opportunities for our medical and nursing staff through multidisciplinary Grand Rounds conducted at CCH, as well as career shadowing opportunities for the nursing staff at Shands Cancer Center
- clinical trials conducted locally through UF/Shands and in conjunction with Health First Clinical Research Institute
Skilled clinical care for your peace of mind
To give you the best chance for a full recovery, an important part of fighting cancer is bringing highly skilled physicians and nurses trained in providing specialized care together with the most advanced treatments. Our cancer care team has extensive experience and offers a full spectrum of services including:
- A multidisciplinary or "team" approach to adult cancer patient care, where oncologists, surgeons, pathologists, dietitians, social workers, counselors, nurses, and others work together to coordinate all aspects of your care
- Sophisticated and complete diagnostic imaging services (inpatient and outpatient) with ultrasound, nuclear medicine, MRI, CT and PET scans
- Our in-hospital Women's Diagnostic Center offers mammography accredited by the American College of Radiology as well as ultrasound diagnostic breast imaging supervised by a board-certified breast imager.
- Laboratory and pathology services that feature specialized immuno-histochemical staining, rapid turn-around services, and second opinions upon request by the patient or physician
- Dedicated and talented medical staff of oncology specialists and surgeons
- Specially trained cancer care nurses who provide cancer education for patients and their families
- Inpatient and outpatient chemotherapy
- Rehabilitation programs
- Prevention and detection programs
- Multidisciplinary Tumor Board that reviews patient clinical data and makes recommendations based on the latest scientific evidence
Amenities for your comfort and well-being
Besides offering the most advanced clinical care to treat cancer, we believe a warm and comforting atmosphere is another important part of treating you. Our cancer care rooms offer a comfortable setting for patients and their families, as well as:
- A homelike décor
- Panoramic views of the beautiful Banana River from our treatment rooms
- Family visiting areas near patient rooms
- A non-denominational chapel is located on the first floor, and open 24 hours for prayer and meditation
- Retail massage therapy by licensed therapists can often alleviate some of the pain and discomfort sometimes associated with cancer treatment. Patients and/or their family members may request this service for a nominal fee.
Education and research assistance for in-depth information
Our Patient Education Room is open to patients and families, and is located in the hospital's Cancer Care Unit. It offers reference materials as well as a direct phone link to the American Cancer Society, and a computer with Internet access provided by the Cape Canaveral Hospital Foundation.
Our Healthcare Resource Center is also open to the public and located on the first floor of the Medical Plaza. There are additional computers with Internet access, as well as classes, periodicals, books, a computerized health database, and videos on thousands of health-related topics, and staff to help you with your research. The center is open weekdays from 8 am to 4:30 pm.
Compassionate support to help you cope
Together with American Cancer Society, we offer several support services and groups in our community, including:
- Reach to Recovery - A peer support group for women who have had breast cancer
- Road to Recovery - Free transportation services for treatment and doctors appointments
- Man to Man - A peer support group for men with prostate cancer
- Look Good, Feel Better - to teach women with cancer beauty techniques to help restore their appearance and self-image during treatment
- I Can Cope - A six-week educational support program for cancer patients, families, and friends
- R.O.C.K. Camp - A summer camp for children who have had cancer
Other services to support the emotional and spiritual needs of you and your family include:
- Community education and programs
- Patient and family support groups
- Community resource referrals
- Pastoral care from our own full-time chaplain, or the clergy of your choice - Pastoral Care Consultations are also available via our computer system.
- On-site Health Resource Center for patients, their families, and the public
- Nutritional counseling
- Social services counseling and case management
Support for the end of life
A natural part of life, the process of dying is something we will all face at some time. It's a unique experience for everyone, from the patient coming to terms with making final plans and saying good bye, to the family's journey through the stages of grief and healing. To help guide and support you through this process, we offer a variety of comprehensive services, so you can choose what's right for you and your family.
Cape Canaveral Hospital Annual Cancer Report
American Cancer Society
Call the American Cancer Society at 321-723-7737 or 1-800-227-2345, or visit their website to register to receive free and confidential information about more local resources and services.