Rockledge, FL (April 1, 2013) – All Health First hospitals are taking part in National Donate Life Month with flag raising ceremonies this month. Each hospital is joining the “Flags Across America” campaign to honor those who have donated life-saving organs and tissue.
This morning, Health First Cape Canaveral Hospital held a special flag raising ceremony and heard from Health First Imaging System Analyst Tina Waggoner who received a kidney transplant in 1994. “To me, donating an organ or tissue is the best gift that anyone could possibly give someone,” said Waggoner. “It is truly a second chance at life.”
Facts about Organ Donation:
- In 2012, Health First saved 45 lives through organ and tissue donations.
- Last year, Health First Holmes Regional Medical Center received TransLife’s Award of Excellence for exceptional hospital and clinical quality performance practices.
- Last year alone, almost 28,000 lives were saved in the United States thanks to organ donors.
- More than 100,000 children and adults are still waiting for the life-saving gift of organ donation.
- The flag raising ceremonies are co-sponsored by TransLife, the federally-designated organ donation program for East Central Florida.
Health First Viera Hospital and Health First Palm Bay Hospital held flag raising ceremonies Monday, April 1 as well. Holmes Regional Medical Center is planning a ceremony for Thursday, April 25.
Health First RN and kidney transplant recipient Tina Waggoner helps raise "Donate Life" flag at Health First Cape Canaveral Hospital