Skip to main content
Welcome to Health First Inc.
Search Health First Submit Search Criteria    
Health First Now Button

   About Us
   Find a Physician
   Patients & Visitors
   Events & Classes
   News
   Ways to Help
   Careers
   Shop

   My Health First Tools
   For Physicians
   For Clinicians & Staff
   Home

Health First Foundation
Online Scheduling and Pre-Registration
Sign Up for E-bulletins
Normal Text Larger Text

Health First Palm Bay Hospital and City of Palm Bay Fire Rescue Team Up to Educate Public About Christmas Tree Safety

Live Demonstration Showed What Happens When a Christmas Tree Catches on Fire

Rockledge, FL (December 17, 2013) – With the holidays right around the corner—it’s important to remember safety tips when it comes to fresh Christmas trees. Health First Palm Bay Hospital and the City of Palm Bay Fire Rescue teamed up to help increase awareness about the dangers of holiday fires in your home. At Health First Palm Bay Hospital, Christmas trees were set on fire to show how easily they can ignite and burn.

“We wanted to take this opportunity to remind people how important it is to be aware of potential dangers with Christmas trees,” said Health First Palm Bay Hospital Director of Clinical Nursing Yuri Mykoo. “While minor burns can be treated at home, if you are ever in any doubt whether you need medical assistance, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.”

City of Palm Bay Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Bailey said, “In addition to keeping your live Christmas tree watered, people should also be aware of the heat sources near their trees—this includes candles, heaters and fireplaces.”

According to the National Fire Protection Association:

  • Christmas trees account for hundreds of fires annually.
  • December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
  • One out of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
  • A heat source too close to the tree causes one out of every six Christmas tree fires.
  • More than half of home candle fires occur when something catches fire that is too close to the candle.