Tips for Staying Healthy
Since chronic foot wounds are particularly common, especially among patients with diabetes, what steps can be taken to prevent them?
- Don't go barefoot, either indoors or outside.
- Use moisturizer for excessively dry feet after bathing.
- Avoid exposing your feet to extreme temperatures, such as hot sand or pavement. Wear sunscreen on your feet. Don't use hot water bottles or heating pads when your feet are cold; instead wear loose-fitting socks.
- Trim nails straight across without rounding the corners.
- Don't cut or remove corns or calluses yourself or use commercial products without first consulting your physician.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit well. Don't wear open-toed shoes, heels, or sandals.
- When you need to purchase new shoes, try them on later in the day, when your feet are enlarged slightly to ensure they'll fit comfortably. Don't wear new shoes more than two hours at a time until you break them in.
- Don't wear shoes without socks or stockings, and avoid socks and stockings with seams and 100 percent synthetics. Instead, wear cotton and cotton blends, and change socks daily.
- If a non-healing foot sore occurs, consult your physician.
- If your physician prescribed compression stockings remember to wear them after you have healed to prevent the wound from re-opening.
Where else can I learn more about chronic wounds online?
American Diabetes Association
Wound Care Information Network
A: Yes, you can self-refer for Wound Care services. Just call 321-434-1788 to schedule your appointment. (Physician referral is required for Hyperbarics)
A: If it's during office hours, please call 321-434-1788 for assistance. If we are closed and you are experiencing pain, you may cut off the wrap and call for assistance during next available business hours. If you are unable to cut the wrap and you are experiencing great pain, please go to the emergency room or dial 9-1-1.
A: Health First Wound Care & Hyperbarics does not dispense medication. You should obtain medications from your local pharmacy. We recommend the services of the Health First Family Pharmacy, 321-434-7355.
A: Patients should always feel free to contact us with any questions at 321.434.1788. If you are experiencing bleeding or pain after hours and need assistance, please call your physician or 9-1-1.
A: Patients should always feel free to contact us with any questions at 321-434-1788. Should you need after hours assistance, you can call 321-434-1788 or Health First Holmes Regional Medical Center, at 321-434-7000, and ask the operator to page the Hyperbaric Nurse. If you are experiencing bleeding or pain after hours and need assistance, please call your physician or 9-1-1.
A: If you are utilizing the services of Health First Home Care, please call Health First Holmes Regional Medical Center, at 321-434-7000, and ask the operator to page Health First Home Care. If you are using an outside provider for your home care needs, you will need to place the call to your Home Care agency.
Health First Wound Care
Feel free to contact us.